The Model and Johnson Schools Foundation was started with remaining funds from the 2001 Centennial Celebration of The Model School. The organizations first year was 2003. Dr. Nevin Jones, Former student, Teacher, Coach, and Principal at Model as well as The Superintendent of Floyd County Schools was the organization's first Chairman.
The guidance of former Model Alumni like Dr. Nevin Jones, Mr. Jerry Gatlin, Mr. Jack Dickey, Mr. Terry Brown, Mr. Duncan Blankenship, and Mr. Leroy Matthews has grown this organization to where it now infuses over $18,500 a year to our 4 schools. The organization is funded primarily through a yearly auction held on the 3rd Saturday each August at the Model Middle School Cafeteria, and contributions made by foundation memberships from alumni and staff and our schools.
At present the Foundation contributes funds in this manner:
* (4) Four $1000 Cash scholarships to Model Graduates
* (2) Two $1000 John Wayne Hall Memorial Scholarships
* A $1000 Jerry Gatlin Memorial Military Scholarship to be divided among
graduates joining our Armed Services.
* (4) Four $1000 Grants to each of our Four Schools
* (4) $1500 Teacher competitive grants to enhance academic excellence
* (4) Teacher of the year awards at $150 each.
* A welcome back breakfast for all the staff members at each of our 4 schools.
Any Model Graduate or parent who has a child in Model should be extremely proud of what Model has accomplished. If you would like to contribute or help in any part of this Foundation Please send your information to,
The Model and Johnson Schools Foundation Inc.
P.O. Box 1264
Rome, Ga. 30162-1264