Coosa High School

The Coosa School was located on Georgia Route 20, about 2 miles west of Rome, and was the first school in Coosa, Georgia. The original school building burned and was rebuilt twice. After a third fire, the school was unable to be built for a third time so the community held a vote to approve a finance bond that would pay for the building of the third new school building. Floyd County Schools purchased a large tract of land that the school was built on and the school opened in 1946. 

In the 1950's and 1960's population and industrial growth soared in the Coosa Valley. In anticipation of a new school building being needed, the Board of Education purchased 35 acres of land. In 1969 a football stadium was completed, and in 1971 the doors were opened to a new school on the current site. The building consisted of more than 40 classrooms, science labs, a media center, auditorium, instrumental room, and an administrative office suite.

Later a larger fine arts facility, field houses, and special education classrooms were added. Plans for expansion are underway. Construction of new science labs and an extended gym are in the works. Other renovations will be added in following years. Coosa received the prestigious title of "Georgia School of Excellence" in 2003. 

Coosa High

Present Coosa High